Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Story: Baseball teams, 1944

I'm reading "Chihuahua Hill: Bisbee, Arizona" this morning. It's a memoir by Chris Dabovich, about his life in Bisbee. I came across this passage about the baseball teams they had as kids. Anybody else know a story about these teams?

(June 1944)
"At this particular point in my life, I was seventeen and would be eighteen in six months. I was going to start my senior year at Bisbee High School, but for now I was more interested in going to town to see what was going on. There were always guys hanging around. I'd go there, tell a few jokes, look at the girls, etc. Sometimes we, (the guys and I) would get together to play a baseball game. We use to play a lot of baseball in those days. Everyone had a glove, bats and balls. These were the names of the teams: The Chihuahua Hill Indians, The Tin Town Rats, The Warren Pretty Boys, The Don Luis Bastards, and The Brewery Gulch Gangsters. I lived on Chihuahua Hill, but played on The Brewery Gulch Gangsters team. Why? I guess it was because most of the guys I palled around with were on the Gangsters team."

No comments:

Post a Comment